Re: Hazards of wet plate collodion ?

From: Bob Maxey ^lt;written_by@msn.com>
Date: 08/09/05-04:31:05 AM Z

A few comments . . .
As a maker of fountain pens, I can tell you that in many cases, some materials are unavailable due to shipping restrictions and laws. For example, celluloid, a plastic, (cellulose nitrate, gun cotton, choose your equivalent term) cannot be legally shipped from the manufacturer to me, regardless of where the manufacturer is located.
I cannot obtain samples from a US distributor unless I pay for special packaging. I cannot store it in quantity unless I make special arrangements Oddly enough, I can order celluloid pens by the kilo and there are no restrictions. I just cannot order raw plastic stock equal to an equivalent quantity used to make the pens.
I cannot import the material from Dai Chemicals in Japan; one of the only remaining manufacturers of this material, without special shipping arrangements, fees, special packaging, etc.
So, in some cases, shipping collodion might be restricted and anyone shipping the stuff might be in violation of a law. Therefore, before you sellers sell and you buyers buy, make sure it is legal to ship. In solution, there might be exceptions, however.
As for KCN, I'll offer a few suggestions: before you use the stuff, absolutely understand what you are doing. I have had considerable experience in handling cyanide based plating solutions and trust me; it only takes a little to cause a serious problem.
Read the MSDS, work using recommended personal protective gear, and if you are the least but nervous, forget about it altogether. In my opinion, handling the material is best left to the experts. If you are still unconvinced, find an expert and start asking questions.
Find out what is required to safely handle the material. For God's sake, absolutely, do not use simple dust masks, they do not work. You need to wear a smock, eye protection, rubber gloves, and preferably, a respirator that has been designed for handling KCN. Your respirator must be professionally fitted if you want it to be effective.
I know this because I was a HAZ-MAT, Lead Safety, and Chemical Safety Trainer in a former life.
Here are a few bullet points:
1- KCN can be absorbed by the skin, through the eyes, the nasal cavity, and it can be fatal in tiny quantities.
2- As little as 50 mg can be fatal.
3- It reacts with acids, producing a gas.
4- Something like 60% of the population cannot detect the odor of bitter almonds, so just because you cannot smell it, does not mean you have not had a release.
5- It is illegal to dispose of unless you do so in strict accordance with your local laws. You might not be legally able to use the material where you live, so if you plan to use it, find out what the laws are in your area. Especially if you are using it commercially, which might be the case if you sell your work.
When you start using it, you must eventually dispose of it; in some cases, you might require a permit or at the very least, you will require special handling. If you get caught doing otherwise, you might be in trouble. So ask your local officials and find out.
Never "brag" about your preferred photographic process unless you are in the company of like-minded photographers. As soon as a neighbor learns you are using the stuff, you might have problems. Cyanide is a word that scares people. It scares me, that's for sure.
6- If you spill the solution, you might be required to have the spill professionally cleaned up by a HAZ-MAT company and that is bloody costly. If I spilled the stuff in my garage, I could never be sure if my cleanup was complete.
No matter how careful you are, you WILL eventually spill the stuff. This is a fact.
7- Survivors of cyanide poisoning may develop symptoms resembling Parkinson’s disease.
8- Make sure your regional poison control center is aware that you are using the stuff. Then, if you have a problem, they have a heads up.
9- If it contacts your skin, you need immediate medical attention.
10- IGNORE the comments about using simple facemasks and large kitchen gloves. The chemical requires special and proper safety gear. Someone posted, "best not to handle without gloves." That should read ABSOLUTELY wear the proper gloves at all times and never, ever handle it without the PROPER gloves.
11- Read this pdf file:
http://www.nohsc.gov.au/PDF/Standards/CyanidePoisoningGuide.pdf
Someone posted, "Just to be clear. All the written reports I could find about KCN related deaths in the 19th century literature were due to "accidentally" drinking it, not a poison gas." I am not sure how accurate the reports would be. I am betting if any large group of users handles the stuff, they perhaps got into trouble not necessarily from drinking the stuff, but from exposure, be it by skin contact, eye contact, or sloppy work habits. I also bet others suffered due to exposure they did not ask for, due to sloppy disposal methods used by the photographer.
This chemical is indeed something to be handled with the utmost care and never, EVER take it lightly.

Bob
… Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com