RE: acid pre-soak

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 08/15/05-07:23:30 PM Z

Eric wrote:

> Etienne, Have you or anyone you know try a bath of disodium edta after
> an acid bath and wash? I will test a few papers that I have around the
> studio this week and let you all know what happens.

I do not subscribe to the cult of EDTA (thinking that it is good for
whatever ails your process). EDTA has a specific function -- to chelate
(i.e., complex or bind) di- and trivalent metal ions in aqueous
solution so that they are not available to react with anions. Iron
happens to be the most strongly chelated metal by EDTA. Since the iron
processes depend on the reaction of iron ions, I would not expect EDTA
to be beneficial in the iron processes.

Best regards,

etienne