Re: Simultaneous film-digital camera? (way off-topic)

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Date: 08/22/05-03:46:18 PM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:
> This has been an ongoing debate between me and my brother in law for a
> year or more, and I thought you guys maybe could help us resolve it
> once and for all.
>
> My brother in law was present when the governor signed a bill, since
> he had been instrumental in writing the bill, and was very interested
> in the camera that was being used to record the event, which wasn't
> like any camera he'd ever seen before. He asked the photographer
> whether it was film or digital. The photographer said "Both" and my
> brother in law is sure that means that with one exposure, the
> photographer could get both a film photo and a digital photo. I said
> I thought it more likely that it was a camera that would take a film
> back or a digital back and that the photographer could take a film
> photo OR a digital photo with any given exposure, but not both at the
> same time.
>
> So, my question is, does anyone know of a camera that splits light
> into two parts (this was the explanation I was given this weekend for
> how this camera could work) and sends one part to film and the other
> to a digital array? Inquiring minds want to know....
>
> Katharine

Olympus and Polaroid teamed up to produce a hybrid digital-Polaroid (the
C-211), which, once the picture was taken, would let you select and print as
many Polaroids as you wanted straight out of the camera. Essentially a
digital camera coupled to a Polaroid printer. I think it's downfall was, as
usual, the price of Polaroid film. Beam splitting is what you're after
though. I think high end 35mm movie cameras have been capable of this for a
while to allow director's to preview shots without waiting for rushes.

~m