Re: Paper Negatives

From: henk thijs ^lt;henk.thijs@hetnet.nl>
Date: 08/28/05-03:24:53 PM Z

Brian,
I think you will find a lot of interesting material in the archives of
the list.
The two methods , used for FB-paper was once the beewax, and the other
sunfloweroil.
I tried both and with the wax it was a real mess for me, maybe due to
the fact that I could not worked very well with an iron.
The sunfloweroil was an idea from Pete Frederiks; he tried a lot of
oils and found this one the best: it stayed transpareant very well over
the years; the best paper was the Kentmere DocArt, a thin one and easy
to oil.
For digital paper negatives the Simili Japon from van Gelder based on
the works very good for me with sunoil. It is a 130 grams paper , just
the right thicknes, no 'bubbling' in the shadow parts of the negative.
Another one I tried was just via the drugstore on the corner , printing
my stuff on ordinary colorpaper with no logo on the backside (he said
it was Fuiji-paper). Very long exposures, but very fine negs, and they
ask for a print of 50x75 cm something like 8 USDollar.
see for samples :
http://www.alternativephotography.com/artists/henk_thijs.html
Bon succes,
Henk