Re: Why multiple exposure (was Re: (Gum) Tonal scale)

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 12/01/05-09:19:40 AM Z

Loris,
i am so glad you said this, because I get 4-5 stops with gum (stops, not
steps, equating to 8-10 steps) not 6 or 7...but I do use ammonium dichromate
at 15% and not potassium dichromate.

I would encourage you to choose a time to expose at first before
calibrating--forget the steps--because when you are building your curve to
match that time, it'll take care of getting the gum to harden in the amount
of steps needed (that's a terrible way to explain it but you know what I
mean).

I chose 6 minutes UVBL for all layers. Then I found my curve for each
layer. Then I printed. This is the only process I did this with, as i have
calibrated cyanotype, VDB, palladium, salt, 6 BW papers, solarplate...all
those I chose my time based on, of course, the step tablet and my standard
printing time (SPT). But gum is different--it is a hardening of a layer,
not the same as the other processes at all. Well, maybe similar to
solarplate.

My SPT for gum is less than 6 minutes but this was not a stable enough
coating.

Why I chose 6 minutes--this was after many step wedges, tonal palettes,
etc--was it gave me a very stable coat that developed in an hour but that
could also be hastened on by a spray development without damage. So 6
minutes gives me options, where shorter times do not.

In choosing 6 minutes I did have to go back and redo my curves from the 5
minute time I had chosen before.

If my digitally challenged husband could say to me, "Wow, Chris, that's the
best print you've done yet" (of my "Squish" series--the cars), if he could
even NOTICE that it was the best one, it works for me!

I think gum is a combination of science and art--you need to "just do it"
but the tools at our disposal in this day and age are so wonderful we just
have to take advantage of them. It is an incredibly simple but incredibly
complex process.
Chris
PS anyone wanting to see a delicious Judy gum can go to p. 69 Photography's
Antiquarian Avant Garde by Lyle Rexer...