Re: (Gum) Tonal scale

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 12/01/05-09:35:30 AM Z

Hi all,

They way a bunch of pigment (or silver grains for that matter) get onto the
paper is of no interest, irrelevant and useless knowledge to a dumb
densitometer. Even if this discussion is futile, abstract and theorical and
that I totally agree that the pigment play no part in the reaction as some
call it (that to could be discuss further but not now). This doesn't change
the fact in practical terms that the pigment get trap inside insoluble gum
in proportion to the amount of gum that is formed (without assistance of
those same pigments just in case) and this gum is formed proportionally to
the amount light it received. As far as I know two quantities proportional
to a third are proportional between themselves. (this is kind of a word for
word translation and may not sound that well in english) Again to a
densitometer that only know how to measure how much lights hits his sensor,
all this is irrelevant.

I perfectly understand what I said above is most probably "totally useless"
to a gum printer because of the way gum prints are most often done. (But) I
know there is something else I should say here but the words just wont come.

I excuse myself in advance, my intention where not to offend anyone

Regards
Yves