Re: Why multiple exposure (was Re: (Gum) Tonal scale)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/02/05-09:50:42 AM Z

On Dec 2, 2005, at 6:32 AM, Loris Medici wrote:

> Hi Judy,
>
>> I've never used cerulean blue for gum printing, let alone for
> tricolor. In
>
> I don't have any particular reasons in selecting that pigment. I was
> looking for a color very close to process cyan which is preferably
> single pigment, transparent, which doesn't stain heavily. My actual
> choice from the catalog was another color (the single pigment PB 15:3)
> but unfortunately that color wasn't in stock, so I purchased the
> closest
> color to my original choice.

Umm, I'm afraid my flippant comment wasn't understood even when it was
put in its proper context. Perhaps too cryptic, sorry. Here's another
try:

Look. The fact that Schminke *calls* this pigment "cerulean blue tone"
doesn't make it cerulean. Cerulean is PB 35. The pigment you are using,
PB 15:3, is pthalo blue. That's what I meant when I said, a convoluted
way to print thalo. And you are right, I should have said a convoluted
way to *market* thalo, not a convoluted way to print thalo; I don't
blame you for being confused. It's a heck of a way to market a thalo
paint, and obviously confuses people into thinking they are using
cerulean when they aren't; it annoys me when manufacturers do that,
hence the comment.
Katharine