Re: bellows extension

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 12/02/05-01:19:07 PM Z

Ohhhhh, Shannon, do I have the thing for YOU!
I am finishing up teaching a large format class to 24 unsuspecting photo
majors who probably would prefer that photography was 35mm and didn't
include math nor a view camera. SO, to make their lives easier, I made a
little chart of bellows factor.

Bellows factor can be calculated very easily by the formula:

bellows length squared
divided by
focal length squared

which gives you a factor number that you multiply your shutter speed by.

However, students who don't like math weren't thrilled with this formula, so
I took every lens we had in checkout, figured out the inches of each lens,
figured out infinity and then every factor for each inch of bellows. if you
want me to I can send you the chart offlist.

What was so fun is I figured out a down n' dirty method that when the
bellows is extended 1.4x the focal length, you open up 1 stop; 2x is 2
stops, 2.8x is 3 stops, 4x is 4 stops etc. etc! I thought I was soooooo
cool (because it corresponded to fstops), but then when they had their
midterm, NO ONE got those answers right on the test, even though I have this
written in bold at the top of the chart. So even though I I felt the chart
was so useful, I didn't write on it that they needed to read it.

My consolation is that their work, despite the math, is realllly getting
good.

btw you usually measure from film plane to lensboard...
chris