Re: Why multiple exposure (was Re: (Gum) Tonal scale)

From: Tom Sobota ^lt;tsobota@teleline.es>
Date: 12/02/05-05:34:27 PM Z

I absolutely agree with this, Christina. The freedom that we have in
choosing and combining colors has to be used and even abused
mercilessly. The risks are very low, and the gains ... ah, the gains! (OK,
I'll try not to overdo it :-)

I have never tried cerulean or nickel titanate, but red oxide is one of my
favorites for monochrome, I feel confident using it and yes, I once or
twice substituted it for my 'normal' magenta for trichromy. I wouldn't say
that it came out 'gorgeous', to tell the truth, but certainly interesting
and perhaps even promising.

I do not have a web page, but I uploaded a couple of images, should anybody
want to see them. It is part of a series I'm doing on Venice. The original
size is 17cm x 23cm (some 6.7" x 9") scanned at 150bpi. Each image is some
270Kb.

The first gum is too dark and too yellow, but I kept it because I like the
golds :-) The colors are intended to be realistic and they, more or less,
are... up to a point. It is fortunate that you cannot compare with the
original. Currently I'm trying to keep the golds as they are and subdue
the other colors.

It is here: http://usuarios.arsystel.com/tksobota/Venezia-maschere-1.jpg
A detail some 3 inches square from the center scanned at 360bpi
is here: http://usuarios.arsystel.com/tksobota/Venezia-maschere-1-det.jpg

In the second gum I used W&N Indian Red (red iron oxide, PR101) instead of
the quinacridone that I normally use. The result tends rather towards a
violet hue. I gave it also a touch of Ivory Black in the shadows.

It is here: http://usuarios.arsystel.com/tksobota/Venezia-maschere-2.jpg
and a detail here:
http://usuarios.arsystel.com/tksobota/Venezia-maschere-2-det.jpg

As expected, the golds lost much of their vigour, and are much more subtle.
The reds, which I expected to suffer the most, have lost brilliance but
still are recognizably red. The blues also changed somewhat, naturally.
Sadly, or luckily, it depends, there are no greens...

Tom