Re: Why multiple exposure (was Re: (Gum) Tonal scale)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/03/05-09:00:08 AM Z

I sent this 24 hours ago and it never came back, even though posts I
sent later did arrive, so I'm sending it again. I added something, as I
always think of more things to say later, so if the other one ever
comes around, it will be slightly different.

On Dec 2, 2005, at 10:30 AM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Loris and all,
> This is the kind of tonal scale that I routinely get with saturated
> ammonium dichromate and a strong mid-dark pigment like thalo, mixed
> the way I like it. It's a well-established fact that the more
> dichromate, the longer the scale; the less dichromate the shorter the
> scale, and in my own tests, that are available somewhere on my
> website, I found that to be true. When I diluted the ammonium
> dichromate to 5%, the number of steps I could get was cut in half
> from what I could get with the saturated dichromate (and the exposure
> was 5x as long). But Loris is getting the same kind of scale with 5%
> ammonium dichromate as I get with saturated dichromate. I think
> probably he is a wizard. But this just emphasizes the truth that you
> can never say ANYTHING about gum and make it stick. I never could
> understand why people would want to print with diluted dichromate and
> give up the steps, but apparently it's not always the case that you
> give up steps to print with diluted dichromate.

Another variable that affects the number of steps is the kind of gum.
When my favorite gum was discontinued and I was testing gums for a
replacement a couple of years ago, I tested two dark gucky gums (that's
a technical term of course) and four clearer gums. With repeated tests,
everything else held constant, the dark gums reliably printed with
fewer steps (5-6 with whatever pigment I was using) than the clearer,
purer gums (7-10).