Re: Staining was Re: (Gum) Tonal scale

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/08/05-05:16:03 PM Z

On Dec 8, 2005, at 10:55 AM, Yves Gauvreau wrote:

> Katharine et all,
>
> On the page you refer us to below, you say for exemple #2 "Gum
> deliberately
> exposed in the sun til stained with dichromate stain" and I would like
> know what is the actual cause of the stain???

Yves,
when I want to deliberately create dichromate stain, as I did in that
case, I do it in the sun because it takes too long for me to create
dichromate stain exposing with my photoflood.

The stain is a function of exposure time in the sun, not of the sun
itself, because I can print gum in the sun without dichromate stain,
simply by limiting the exposure to a few seconds, and in fact when I
want to make a lot of prints fast, and if the sun is shining, that's
how I do it. 5 or 10 seconds, depending on the strength of the sun,
makes a perfect print with no stain.

There are many different causes, however, that can account for
dichromate stain, not just overexposure. As I said earlier in this
thread, the list has occupied itself sometimes for weeks trying to
understand what causes it and why some people get it and others don't.
If you're interested in all the things that have been suggested as
causes for dichromate stain, I would look for those discussions and
read through them. It's yet another one of those many unresolved
issues that abound in gum.
Katharine