Re: (Gum) Tonal scale

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/08/05-05:04:45 PM Z

On Dec 8, 2005, at 1:13 PM, Tom Sobota wrote:

> Katherine,
>

> The 'opaque tone printers' thing was just a shorter version of your
> 'people who prefer opaque pigments'. Of course you never said it, it
> was me who did. Wrongly, because I should have said 'dark tone
> printers'.

Which makes even less sense, especially if I'm still meant to be the
source of the idea. I do distinguish between opaque and transparent
pigments, but I do not relate those qualities to tone, because in gum
printing the qualities of opacity and transparency are not related to
tone, as I've made abundantly clear on my site and in previous
discussions here, and as Joe spelled out in his proposal for the use of
terms, and as I said just now in clarifying why I was objecting to the
phrase 'opaque tone printers' being attributed to me.

  It's true that several layers of transparent pigments can make a very
dark combined color (pthalo plus a rich transparent red and a deep
transparent yellow can make a very black black) but being dark doesn't
mean it is opaque. As I show on my pigment page, both ivory black and
lamp black can both print dark enough to be called "100% black" by
Photoshop, but ivory black is transparent while lamp black is opaque.
(Note: I am using these terms in accordance with the "Joe conventions"
for using the terms opacity and transparency in gum printing, and it's
your use of these terms to mean something different that IMO is
confusing the discussion.).

> BTW I still don't know the answer to my last question to you.

I don't know what that was, and since posts were coming in random order
for a few days there, I don't have any idea what your last question
might have been, or even if I received it. As far as I know, I
responded in full and ample redundancy to all the issues I saw
addressed to me. If there's still a question that feel hasn't been
answered, you'll need to ask it again, sorry.
Katharine