Re: (Gum) Tonal scale

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/08/05-10:44:38 PM Z

On Dec 8, 2005, at 3:04 PM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2005, at 1:13 PM, Tom Sobota wrote:
>
>> Katherine,
>>

>> The 'opaque tone printers' thing was just a shorter version of your
>> 'people who prefer opaque pigments'. Of course you never said it, it
>> was me who did. Wrongly, because I should have said 'dark tone
>> printers'.
>
> Which makes even less sense, especially if I'm still meant to be the
> source of the idea. I do distinguish between opaque and transparent
> pigments, but I do not relate those qualities to tone, because in gum
> printing the qualities of opacity and transparency are not related to
> tone, as I've made abundantly clear on my site and in previous
> discussions here, and as Joe spelled out in his proposal for the use
> of terms, and as I said just now in clarifying why I was objecting to
> the phrase 'opaque tone printers' being attributed to me.

In other words, when I distinguished between those who print opaquely
and those who print transparently (a distinction, BTW, which is much
less apparent now than it was when I wrote those words, because
nowadays people are printing not just those two ways but a lot of
different ways, which makes me very happy, and this distinction
probably will not survive the next revision of my site) I was NOT
making a distinction between people who print in dark tones and people
who print in transparent tones, since such a distinction in terms of
opacity/transparency simply doesn't make sense. When I made the
distinction, I was simply saying that opaque pigments have one look
(opaque) and transparent pigments have another (transparent) and people
tend to have a preference for one look or the other. But opaque does
not mean dark tone and transparent does not mean light tone, as I hope
most people understand by now.

  I've meant for a long time to make a visual that shows the same image
printed in tricolor two ways: one in opaque pigments and one in
transparent pigments, to show this distinction for those who have
trouble with it. But there are many things on my list of things I mean
to do someday, and I can't say when I'll get them all done, if ever.
Maybe Chris will do that print she was talking about with cerulean and
red oxide and nickel titanate, and then I won't have to.
Katharine