favorite gum pigment colors

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 12/11/05-10:29:09 AM Z

Good morning!
I've been putting the finishing touches on a list of pigment choices for
tricolor gum to use in my class next semester. It's been fun, actually,
comparing Wilcox and Page and now adding to that sum of knowledge
Handprint.com. I thought the list might enjoy my experience and further
research.

Then, of course, I just had to order some more pigment because I got seduced
by the descriptions...That's a tax deductible expense, of course :)

I realize I use mostly: M. Graham, Daniel Smith, Maimeri, and Holbein.

Usually I find myself using a bright, clear yellow like an arylide, PY65,
PY97, or a benzimidazolone like PY175, or an azo PY151, common pigments
available in a number of companies. If I want warm I use PY110 which used
to be by M. Graham and now only by Daniel Smith--permanent yellow deep, or
the slightly more opaque PY139 permanent yellow deep by Maimeri (the latter
only in Maimeri I think at this time of writing). Makes great comic book
golds.

Usually I use a PV19R, like M. Graham's quinacridone rose. At $4.55 a 15ml
tube here at MSU it is cheap and really a good paint. This is a common
pigment, as can be seen by this list:
WN permanent rose

MG quinacridone rose

DS quinacridone rose

DS quinacridone red

M primary red

M rose lake

Schmincke ruby red

(M is maimeri, others are self explanatory)

I also use PR209 quinacridone red like MG quinacridone red, WN quinacridone
red or M tiziano red or a PR254 diketo pyrrolo pyrrole red like Maimeri
sandal red.

Then there are some unusual pigments which I am going to try, one of a
kinds:

PR260 isoindoline scarlet only in Old Holland vermilion (hue) extra (no blue
reflectance so mixes well with other warm colors and with greens).

PY 138 quinophthalone yellow I can find only in these two brands:

Rowney Artists permanent yellow

Fragonard permanent lemon yellow

PY 159 zirconium praseodymium silicate

I could find only in WN Winsor lemon yellow deep.

I'm sticking with single pigment choices.

What's nice is I notice both Maimeri and Winsor Newton and maybe other
companies have labels that are helpful--Winsor red, Winsor yellow, Winsor
blue, for instance, and Maimeri's Primary Red, Primary Yellow, Primary Blue,
could get a student started in tricolor easily and inexpensively and with
high quality pigment choices.

Chris