Re: (Gum) Multi prints???

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/13/05-09:05:01 AM Z

On Dec 13, 2005, at 3:15 AM, Loris Medici wrote:

> BTW, here's my question: I plan to print duo-pigment gums, a bluish
> dark
> gray (Schmincke Neutral Gray #785, PR251 + PB60 + PG7) for shadowns and
> a reddish brown (Schmincke Madder Brown #670, PR206) for highlights. I
> will print using digital negatives. Is there any way I can use
> Photoshop's Duotone image mode in order to design/predict the results
> and design curves/negatives giving that particular look in my monitor?

Hi Loris,
The answer is yes and no. Yes, you can get a sort of idea of how those
*colors* will work together, but you can't get an idea of how those
*pigments* will work together by simply working with the colors
onscreen. But it should give you a place to start from, anyway.

  I would suggest sticking with single pigments for your two layers.
Both in painting and in gum printing, I like to use burnt sienna or
burnt umber together with ultramarine or prussian or even pthalo; they
combine well in a duotone kind of way. Somewhere I have a reproduction
of a print on glass that I did of ducks, that have beautiful dark green
heads and soft russet underfeathers, for example, using prussian and
burnt sienna for the two colors; the colors look clean and luminous.
But yesterday I printed M. Graham neutral tint (PV19 + PG7) in a
duochrome with burnt umber, and it was not a pleasant outcome;
something about the pigments in combination created really oogy colors.
I didn't even bother to take it out of the wash; it's still out there
to face this morning, like dishes left in the sink overnight.
Katharine