Re: gum printing color combinations

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 12/22/05-10:19:51 AM Z

Katharine et al,

Ohhh, I should qualify my statement below a bit about cadmium red so no one
takes me at face value and tosses their tube:

Even with doubling its saturation in my mix, the effect of its opacity is
not a problem in the **print** anywhere and only noticeable in the border as
a dull final layer. Thus, I can see why some people might like it just
fine, but for me there are other reds equally suitable. However, I was, in
fact, surprised that it didn't look bad in the print given all the talk
about opaque pigments not working well for gum.

I was also concerned about cadmium's supposed tendency to darken with time
or light or whatever, and its toxicity...

Back to former letter:

transparent to semi-transparent to semi-opaque to opaque...and the
manufacturer's designations are iffy...hmmmm...so where are you drawing the
line in your own practice between semitransparent and semiopaque or doesn't
it really matter?

For instance, M Graham PY110 and Maimeri PY139 are the exact color, except
for a slight opacity to PY139. Exposed, PY139 has a slight dullness in
comparison to exposed PY110, but you can still see clearly through it. It
is termed "semi-opaque". In gum practice I would call it semi-transparent...

Another thought: looking at casein prints which I assume have layers of
milkiness (Sam Wang, chime in here?) that have opacity one on top of one
another, they look mighty fine. I wonder what caseinists think?

On the way to the movie store last night I realized that I THINK that partly
sunny really means mostly cloudy and partly cloudy really means mostly
sunny.
Chris