Re: UV Compact Fluorescent Bulb Canadian Source?

From: ryberg ^lt;cryberg@comcast.net>
Date: 12/22/05-11:02:44 AM Z

Mark,
     The fixtures I used were from www.sciplus.com item 89402 at US $16.95
each. I used six. I'm not recommending these for two reasons. First, the
bulbs, though they worked well as "party lights"--that is, they made stuff
glow in the dark--were REALLY SLOW for alt photo use. Whether this is
because they are non-standard or what, I don't know, but I tossed the bulbs
and replaced them with US$5 apiece BL tubes. Second, the ballasts and
sockets have to be cut out of the existing fixtures and mounted in your
home-made unit. This was not at all difficult, but if you have not done
some dismantling of electric equipment and lack wiring experience, I
wouldn't recommend it.
     I'm pretty sure you can find ballasts and sockets which don't have to
be removed from existing fixtures or even existing fixtures which will work
without being dismantled. Add in the waste of tossing the tubes and I don't
think these are a good buy.
Charles Portland OR