Re: Photogravure

From: Eric S. Theise ^lt;verve@well.com>
Date: 01/06/05-11:56:02 AM Z

Dalyvoss@aol.com writes:
> Does anyone teach workshops on the photogravure process?

I've taught it at Kala Art Institute in Berkeley, CA. I will not be
teaching it there this year, though Unai San Martin will. I can
definitely recommend him. http://www.kala.org/ is where the course
schedule is/will be. I am likely to be teaching workshops to small
numbers of students out of my studio (in San Francisco), and we're
looking into the feasibility of doing it at the SF Center for the Book
over the summer.

The best place to learn it is probably at Crown Point Press, San
Francisco, in one of their week-long summer workshops. You should
contact them if you're interested and get on their mailing list. I
believe they've moved to a lottery system, but at one point, you had to
RSVP as soon as the brochure came in the mail because it (and even more
so, their general etching workshops), filled up instantly.
http://www.crownpoint.com/

On the east coast, Lother Osterburg teaches quite a few places. The
Lower East Side Printshop is one of them, and they could probably put
you in touch with him. http://www.printshop.org/ I have not met him,
though I'm familiar with his work, and have had some of his alumni in
my Kala classes. I'm told that our teaching styles are quite
different, but he is one of the foremost practioners in the United
States, and I can't imagine that anyone teaches more workshops than he
does.

Actually, Lothar has a website at
http://home.earthlink.net/~lotharosterburg/maincontent.html with
workshops listed.

Those are the main ones I know about. Crown Point is superb.

--Eric