RE: Camera Arts Article & PDN

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/14/05-01:38:13 AM Z

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Christopher Lovenguth wrote:

> Here is their contact. I just found out that they are splitting up Camera
> Arts and View Camera in to two different entities. Maybe that's why I
> haven't been able to get anybody over at View Camera about payment for the
> article I wrote for them....ah learned the hard way not having a formal
> contract first before giving them materials ;)

Can you take it to small claims court? Enforcement isn't easy, but it
might be fun. And get their attention. The law may have changed, but it
used to be that you could only sue (assuming less than $5000, unless
that's been upped) in a state where they do business. However, since they
sell in every state, that might count. AFAIK if they used the material
they're liable to pay for it. Or they would have to prove you said they
could have it free... which even if they could fake it, would be more
trouble than coughing up the miniscule amounts those magazines pay. (And
then maybe you could write an article for Publishers Weekly about the
experience ?)

Judy