Re: Gum printing

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 01/30/05-08:37:05 PM Z

Maria,
Powder and lump are both fine, but powder you can use immediately. I whip
it up in the blender a couple quarts at a time. That said, I saw my prof
Sam Wang stir the gum powder right into his pigment/water/dichromate mix and
brush his coat on!

I have never used gum in lump form, but it is said it takes a day or two to
dissolve. I am not sure if this is true from firsthand experience. There
is a big can of the lumps in our grad studio, so I should see.

If you already have formalin, use that. I used to not size my paper, but
sizing produces very predictable results and prevents pigment stain. Try no
size, and if stain haunts you, then size.
Chris