Re: Gum printing

From: maria ahlberg ^lt;mariaahlberg13@hotmail.com>
Date: 01/31/05-01:50:55 AM Z

Thanks for your advice Christina.

Maria

&gt;From: &quot;Christina Z. Anderson&quot; &lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
&gt;To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
&gt;Subject: Re: Gum printing
&gt;Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:37:05 -0500
&gt;
&gt;Maria,
&gt;Powder and lump are both fine, but powder you can use immediately.
&gt;I whip
&gt;it up in the blender a couple quarts at a time. That said, I saw my
&gt;prof
&gt;Sam Wang stir the gum powder right into his pigment/water/dichromate
&gt;mix and
&gt;brush his coat on!
&gt;
&gt;I have never used gum in lump form, but it is said it takes a day or
&gt;two to
&gt;dissolve. I am not sure if this is true from firsthand experience.
&gt;There
&gt;is a big can of the lumps in our grad studio, so I should see.
&gt;
&gt;If you already have formalin, use that. I used to not size my
&gt;paper, but
&gt;sizing produces very predictable results and prevents pigment stain.
&gt;Try no
&gt;size, and if stain haunts you, then size.
&gt;Chris
&gt;
&gt;----- Original Message ----- From: &quot;maria ahlberg&quot;
&gt;&lt;mariaahlberg13@hotmail.com&gt;
&gt;To: &lt;alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca&gt;
&gt;Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 4:24 AM
&gt;Subject: Gum printing
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;&gt;I wonder if there is any difference mixing gum arabicum from powder
&gt;&gt;or from
&gt;&gt;lump.
&gt;&gt;How long does it take for the lump to become solution?
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;I have a paper called BFK Rives 250gram and i have formalin, but i
&gt;&gt;have
&gt;&gt;not decided if i should size the papers with this or with
&gt;&gt;glutaraldehyd.
&gt;&gt;I have good experience with formalin, but i have never used
&gt;&gt;glutaraldehyd?
&gt;&gt;Is there someone who can help me with this questions?
&gt;&gt;Maria Ahlberg ,Sweden Uppsala
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;