RE: lens questions - redux

From: BOB KISS ^lt;bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
Date: 07/07/05-06:08:01 AM Z

DEAR BARRY,
            It is (as always) a question of balance.
            Firstly, forgive my reference to the welding flame being too
dense on the negative?too much time shooting b&w for fine art photos. I
slipped back into a more negative frame of mind ;-)); of course it would
be too light (low density) on your Provia transparency.
            Secondly, you can measure the light coming from the welder and
then pump up the strobe light to, lets say, two or three stops less
(setting your exposure for this reading) so you will get a bright welding
flame and a more midtone environment. Further, the sparks should still
stand out against this midtone environment.
            Again, aint nuttin like an instant film image (calibrated to
your Provia) to tell you what you will get. Looking at it you can easily
change the relationship between the flame/sparks and the environment by
changing the lighting ratio.
The shutter speed can help with this as well as it has no effect on the
strobe exposure (within limits) as the Blad synchs up to a 500th (if you
are using the in-lens leaf shutter) but will vary the ambient light exposure
in relation to the strobe.
            I hope I havent made any more mistakes.
                                                CHEERS!
                                                            BOB