Re: Platinum and palladium with cyanotype

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/22/05-03:44:10 PM Z

From: joachim oppenheimer <joachim2@optonline.net>
Subject: RE: Platinum and palladium with cyanotype
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:04:28 -0400

> The oxidation of the Van Dyke silver process by the cyanotype makes
> this virtually impossible, as stated. However, I have "played
> around" with some of the interesting effects and - before the
> self-destruct set in - rephotographed the images conventionally. I
> didn't set the world on fire, but the net results were of some
> interest. Joachim

If oxidative bleaching of silver image by the cyano chemistry is the
real problem, here are some possible options:

Immerse the VDB print in dilute Fuji Ag Guard solution for several
minutes before proceeding. The print may be rinsed after Ag Guard
if necessary. (This clearly doesn't work with Agfa Sistan.)

Treat VDB print in dilute Kodak Brown Toner and wash very well before
proceeding.