RE: I'm back.. again ;)

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 07/25/05-10:24:13 AM Z

Hey Adam,

Welcome back!

Dave S

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Kimball [mailto:adam@akimball.com]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 1:14 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: I'm back.. again ;)

Hi all,

It has been quite awhile since I've been on the list. I now have a place
where I can build a decent darkroom and make some prints. It doesn't look
like much has changed in the four-five years that I've been gone which makes
sense since our processes are much older. I'm going to play with a few
things - gum (my favorite though by far my least understood process), Ware's
Platino (which I love to no end), and finally Ware's Chrysotype. That is
the one thing that has changed, Mike has finally posted the secrets - very
cool. I'm looking forward to spending countless hours trying to get even a
remotely acceptable print from this process. I've given Chrysos a shot
before, but I was never using the right gold, and it always fell out of
solution when it hit the ligand. Anyone who is working with Chryso's -
please contact me off list! I'm very interested.

The big change is that my large-format camera is sitting in the closet for
now. I just bought a DSLR, a super light carbon tripod, and am now prepared
to shoot like crazy and throw almost all of it
away every night. I think I just got burnt on the slow LF thing.
We'll see, maybe I'll go back.

One final question, is there any reason why any of you would not buy a
cheaper Epson 2200 for digital negs and go for a 2400? Just curious.

Oh yes, one final final question - is anyone working with B&S carbon tissue?
I do know about the Alt-Photo archive, but the searching algorithm is a bit
problematic.

So, hello to everyone..

-Adam