Re: polivinyl alcohol vs. gelatin sizing

From: Giovanni Di Mase ^lt;gdimase@hotmail.com>
Date: 07/29/05-11:52:29 AM Z

I tried also under Kevin Sullivan suggrestions.

I am trying to produce very large prints (1 mt x .80 cms) and obviously the
most difficult part is to get an even coating.

In my opinion, it is a little bit messy to use Elmer's glue on the exact
proportion so I went and found the chemical polyvinyl alcohol.

I tested and works but needs to be tuned.

I also did some search over the Internet and found interesting articles at:

http://www.celvol.com/index/productsmarkets_index/products_markets_pvoh/pvoh_application/pvoh_application_paper.htm

http://www.chemvip.com/SolutionPreparationGuidelines.pdf

Now Elmer's glue is soluble in water and this issue is being cover at

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4110494.html

I also found that several companies are working on the basis of this
polyvinyl alcohol for the paper and inkjet industries.

I wonder if anybody in the list has made any further research.

In my opinion it covers very well the gelatin and paper sizing requirements
for alternative process.

Giovanni