Boiling gelatin

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/11/05-11:03:22 AM Z

In the interest of that grand database that we're all building together,
I'm curious about your method; did you boil the gelatin and then cool it
and apply it at a cooler temperature, or did you apply it very hot?

To my mind this speckling problem that I've seen occurring with hot size
is not about whether gelatin has been boiled or not that makes the
difference, but the temperature on application. And again, let me repeat
that for all I know this may not be the same for all papers or for all
hardeners. But what I suspect is that it's not about how hot the gelatin
is, but how hot the water is; in other words I'm thinking the speckling
effect that I've seen with hot (never boiling) gelatin size, on Arches
papers, with no size and with gelatin-gesso size, doesn't have anything
to do with the gelatin per se. The same thing might happen if you just
treated the paper with hot water. What I suspect happens is that the
hot water does something to the factory size on/in the paper; since the
temperature of the water is above the point where gelatin dissolves, it
just may be that the hot water dissolves some of the gelatin size that's
in the paper, and that this is what causes the failure of the size
later.

And if my speculation has any merit, then it would make sense that I
would see the effect in Arches paper, since it is factory-sized with
gelatin, and that Chris wouldn't see the effect in Fabriano Extra-White,
since it is not factory-sized with gelatin but with some other substance
which is most likely not subject to the same disruption. What do you
think? It makes a whole lot of sense to me,

Katharine