Re: Restoration of tri-color camera

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 03/11/05-10:44:33 PM Z

I am fairly certain that the pigments used were proprietary, and
different ones were used by the various manufacturers of three-color
carbon tissue. In fact, some of the manufacturers of this product
even offered two or three series of tissues, favoring either
saturation or permanence.

Of course, some people carried this information away from the company
and gave it to other people. In the mid 80s I was in contact with a
number of folks, all now deceased, who provided me with the exact
pigments used in one of the Devin McGraw three-color tissues. In fact
I still have the pigments and their code numbers. But the formula was
based on beginning with dry pigments that did not disperse easily in
pigmented gelatin solutions. Eventually, when I started to make my
own carbon tissue a man named Richard Kauffman, who with Charles
Berger developed the Polaroid/Ultrastable color carbon system, kindly
gave me a formula based on water soluble pigments, distributed at
the time by Dupont. They worked perfectly for three-color carbon and
carbro, but may or may not be the same as the ones used in the
Ultrastable system.

Unfortunately so much of this knowledge exists only in memory, and
the people with the memory are fast leaving us.

Sandy