Re: Boiling gelatin

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/11/05-03:34:49 PM Z

You all know how I am when I get curious about something, so I went
looking for the discussion around this. I found it in December 2003, and
I didn't read the whole thread, but I was able to determine that the
paper was some kind of Fabriano, Chris wasn't sure what. She said it
didn't have the Uno logo and she thought it might be artistico. (I'm
assuming this is the old artistico, not the new artistico, but I don't
know. I'm only assuming that because Chris isn't having the same problem
with the new Artistico paper). I asked how hot the water was and she
replied "As hot as my faucet will deliver--not hot enough to burn, just
too hot to take a bath in." But most interesting: she had some BFK Rives
in the same bathtubful of hot water, which did not exhibit the same
problem, which was definite speckling and blotching of the print, where
the sizing failed and pigment was absorbed differentially into the
paper. Which suggests to me even more strongly that this interaction
between factory sizing and hot water may be paper-related; some papers
do it and some papers don't. It would also be interesting to know how
Chris was sizing then. If both the paper and sizing are different, then
who knows... the effect could be related to paper, or to sizing, or to
both.
kt