Re: Using Gluteraldahyde; was: Glutaraldahyde activation?

From: Kees Brandenburg ^lt;ctb@zeelandnet.nl>
Date: 10/03/05-02:54:40 AM Z

Chris an Clay,

My bottle of MACO Geladur-LP (which is the same as Black Magic hardener
as confirmed by Maco) contains only 2-5% glut which I read as something
between 2 and 5 percent. The safety sheet mentions the same percentages
too. For black magic they advise to make a working solution of 5 ml in
100ml water. Per liter black magic or gelatin they advise to use 20-50ml
of this working solution (i.e. 1.0-2.5ml of the concentrate).

I used Geladur again last week by adding 3ml of the concentrate to 500ml
of warm 3% gelatin. This was the first time I used this 'direct'
hardening method. I'm hardening normally in a separate bath (15ml
glyoxal in 1 liter water) with a rinse afterwards. These geladur
hardened results were not good. The paper behaved if unsized, cleared
very slowly in the water and stained. There were also coating streaks
visible on the paper I coated with a brush.

In earlier tests, also reported on this list, I hardened with geladur in
a separate bath and these papers printed fine. This leaves two
conclusions possible: the 'direct' method doesn't work for me or the
geladur has gone bad since then. I'll try the separate hardening method
again this week.

kees