Re: Using Gluteraldahyde; was: Glutaraldahyde activation?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 10/03/05-07:20:03 AM Z

From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
Subject: Re: Using Gluteraldahyde; was: Glutaraldahyde activation?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:51:38 -0600

> Whether the sulfite has an effect on the sizing remains to be seen, but
> considering I have sulfur here in my water anyway, I can't imagine the
> miniscule amount in the sizing I am mixing is going to have a serious
> effect. But that is an uneducated guess.

My guess is that bisulfite is contained in glutaraldehyde stock to
form bis-bisulfite adducts. It can be formed by simply mixing the
ingredients, but this form of glutaraldehyde is also commercially
supplied in solid form. Upon dissolution, it makes glutaraldehyde
available but in a rather "buffered" way.

If there is no detectable negative effect, you might find Maco
hardener smells less, compared to glut solution of comparable
concentration without bisulfite.

There are several kinds of sulfur compounds, and sulfite is distinctly
different from elemental sulfur, etc. Sulfite is more likely to react
with dichromate. However, considering the amount present in the
sizing, I don't know how significant the effect will be.