Re: Best CI for process

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 10/03/05-12:19:58 PM Z

Thanks Sandy that makes it a bit more clear :)

In a message dated 10/3/05 8:43:21 AM, sanking@CLEMSON.EDU writes:

> Mark,
>

> Yes, it is possible to set the exposure scale to whatever you  want, within
> limits, especially if you use the Na2 method of contrast control. By
> adjusting the amount of Na2 it is possible to set the ES from as much as 1.9 to as
> low as 0.8.
>

> However, what I choose to do is set the exposure scale of straight palladium
> very close to the upper limit, which for me is around 1.85. This can vary a
> bit of course based on choice of paper. Then I develop all of my negatives to
> this range, whether they be in camera negatives or digital negatives, and I
> don't have to worry about adding any Na2.
>

> I usually add just a tiny bit (about 1 ml per liter of developer of a 5%
> potassium dichromate solution)  to the developer for better clearing. This small
> amount does not affect ES very much, if at all, but my papers seem to clear
> better with it.
>

> Your question does make the point, that we might should be more specific
> when discussing these issues. To that end I will mention that my normal mix is
> equal parts of a 25% solution of ferric oxalate and 20% palladium chloride. I
> develop in potassium oxalate, at room temperature.
>

> Sandy

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson
Purchase the eBook & PDN System for Your Own Custom Digital Negative Workflow
@
Precision Digital Negatives
PDN's Own 31-Step Tablet Now Available—produced by Stouffer Industries
Coming Soon—Curve Calculator II will let you choose your toes!
www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com