Re: Technical Grade Muriatic Acid

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 10/09/05-07:17:06 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2005 9:22 AM
Subject: Re: Technical Grade Muriatic Acid

> For the record -- a couple of points: My reagent grade
> Hydrochloric acid, bought AT LEAST 15 years ago from
> Tri-Ess, was 37% (noted in the catalog & once upon a time
> on the label) and as I observed previously did not perform
> any better, in fact in some cases not as well, as
> muriatic.

   Snipping...
   Perhaps Ryuji will provide some education here on how to
store hazardous materials. I had a frustrating time just
now trying to find what materials were and were not
compatible with strong acids for storage using an internet
search. Some strong acids and alkalis will dissolve glass
(sodium hydroxide is notorious for this as is hydroflouric
acid) and should either not be stored in glass or the
container should be replaced periodically.
   Some strong acids and alkalies generate a lot of heat
when dissolving, Sulfuric acid and Sodium or Potassium
Hydroxide are not the only materials to do this. Beside
splattering there can be enough heat to break some types of
containers.
   I am no scare merchant but I do think there are materials
which are dangerous enough so that one should not work with
them without a thorough education in chemical safety.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com