Re: Magnani Pescia et al.. for gumprinting

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 10/24/05-07:24:28 PM Z

David,

Here comes the Awful Warning: It's risky to lay in a year's supply of ANY
paper without testing the paper first. For instance, Fabriano Uno has
apparently changed, tho it used to be my faborite paper for gum. Rives BFK
was for YEARS the no-fail paper we started all students on. Lately these
pages ring with its faults... I assume it, too, has changed.

Magnani Pescia was another favorite, and lovely -- but I haven't
bought it recently and would NOT assume it's the same. Another excellent
paper -- strong and takes gum beautifully -- is Merten Spiese from
Hahnemuehl, but it's quite textured, as opposed to the Pescia's smoother
surface. That choice can depend on the scale... a large print on Spiese
looks smoother than when small. Saunders Waterford when I last bought it
was medium texture, and lovely -- but what's it like NOW !!?

Then the surface is an issue. The "same" paper hot pressed or cold rolled
will be quite different. Watch for that...

Could you get a couple by mail to test before laying in a year's supply ?
But be sure what you buy later comes from the same lot. They change. Also,
not every supplier labels the papers precisely.... Rives lightweight, eg,
gets called BFK, and whatever. So double check.

Etc.

Sigh...

Judy