Re: report on cynotype and acid and a chemistry question.

From: sam wang ^lt;stwang@clemson.edu>
Date: 10/28/05-07:49:39 AM Z

Hi Chris,

The 2:1 ratio came from a handout by John P. Shaefer (past president of
U of Arizona who started the Center for Creative Photography and author
of the Ansel Adam's Guides, and a chemist) which suggested that the B
solution was not necessary for light sensitivity and when it's cut in
half the emulsion would be faster with no adverse effect. My experience
concurs. "Less is more" and I've been using this ratio since.

This ratio does not increase DMax nor the color though. That's a whole
mountain of wax altogether.

By the way, it was Keith Schreiber who gave me Shaefer's handout. And I
did try using no B in coating and using B just to develop. Worked, but
there didn't seem to be any reason to do it that way.

Thanks for dragging me into this Chris!
Sam