Re: Way OT: Extended Service Contracts

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 09/15/05-07:58:57 PM Z

I noticed that any time I bought a piece of equipment costing more than,
say, $100, the store, the salesperson, and 3rd parties made EXTENDED
efforts to sell me an extended service contract.

I mean hard sell, even from the (formerly) sainted Tekserv.

So I reasoned they must be making a heap of profit on them, enough for
commissions & then some. And if they're making that much profit, it's not
a good investment for me -- so I decided to be my own insurer.

As for 1st year death vs later death, I've had both. I spent a full year
setting up & packing & shipping & unpacking & setting up again a giant
U-Max flatbed, 3 in all, each having a new disorder. Then the new model
came out & I "persuaded" them to send me that... It's been wonderful,
knock on wood, for years (not to tempt fate).... So I'd say some of it's
the equipment itself.

The 35 mm Polaroid film scanner went in 3rd year...tho I'm still ahead
over all.

Does anyone put out a "repair" score for digital like they do for cars?

PS. These ESCs are NOT refundable if not used.

Judy