Re: What are the advantages of using Cyanotype as the first layer for tri-color gum prints? Paper Problems...

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 09/19/05-08:27:28 AM Z

> Dear Christina,
> Thank you so much for your insights, I do have some
> more questions:
> How hot do you make the water for pre soak the paper?
> Why do you use 2A: 1B?
> What is the difference between fabriano artisitico and
> Fabriano artistico extra white?
> My exposures are super long... 25-30 minutes under
> UVBL.
> The bulbs are about 4 inches away from the print. I
> got them at topbulb.com. Is it possible that there is
> something wrong with my bulbs? My negs are not very
> dense. They are suitable for gum prints.
> thanks,
> Carmen

Carmen,
I use 2A:1B because it prints faster--this is not something I dreamed up,
but a tip from my professor and mentor Sam Wang at Clemson U. This will cut
down your long exposure times. Mine are 6 minutes, or up to 15 on an
unsuitable paper, under UVBL.
Density in a negative is deceptive--for instance, a black ink only negative
can be very dense even though it looks thin.
I don't use hot water anymore to preshrink my paper--I use bathwater temp.
Fabriano Artistico comes in Traditional White (creamier) and Extra White. I
use the Extra White hot pressed. I have used the traditional white both in
cold pressed and soft press, and all are great for gum.
Chris (who should be preparing for class instead of chit chatting on the
list :) )