Re: Gelatin size: brushed or immersed?

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 09/23/05-01:32:20 PM Z

Carmen wrote:

> I started to size my paper today, by immersing it
> into the gelatin solution, but since my sheets are so
> big, 22x30", this procedure requires a lot of gelatin
> to fill my tray. Also, it is kind of hard to do such
> big sheets by myself. I know that some of you brush
> the gelatin solution on the paper, which right now
> seems easer to do. What are the adventages and
> disadvantages of each method? And, can you offer any
> advise in how to do eather merhod more efficiently?

One big advantage of dip-coating is that both sides of the paper are coated
equally, which minimizes curling. Another is generally evenness of
coating, particularly after you find just the right time to hang them from
the opposite edge while they are drying (see below).

Rather than lay the paper flat in a tray, you can coat them in a trough,
which takes much less gelatin solution. Take a trough say 5" x 5" x 24"
and fill it 2/3 full with your gelatin solution. Hold the paper by the two
22" edges with your hands close together so the paper falls in a fairly
tight "U" shape (it's OK at this point if there are places where the two
vertical legs of the "U" are farther apart than 5" -- it will hang limp
after it gets wet). Lower the bottom of the "U" into the trough, then
"roll" the paper through the trough by simultaneously lowering one hand and
raising the other. Repeat this rolling until the paper is fully coated,
drain the excess gelatin solution off one corner, then hang by one long
edge to dry. Partway through the drying, switch the paper to hang by the
opposite edge to redistribute any gelatin solution that ran down toward the
low edge during the first part of the drying. You will have to find this
time by experiment. Alternatively, you can double coat (second coat after
thoroughly drying and hardening) and hang from the opposite edge after the
second coat, but this is not as satisfactory in my experience because the
second coat runs differently than the first.

Troughs suitable for this can easily be built (I've done it in a pinch with
foam core and gaffers' tape), or you can get plastic ones at a garden store.

Best regards,

etienne