Re: Gelatin size: brushed or immersed?

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 09/23/05-10:51:07 PM Z

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Etienne Garbaux wrote:

> One big advantage of dip-coating is that both sides of the paper are coated
> equally, which minimizes curling. Another is generally evenness of
> coating, particularly after you find just the right time to hang them from
> the opposite edge while they are drying (see below).

Might be a good idea to run bottom edge between first 2 fingers to remove
possible drip before reversing, or it could run down the face of the print
-- but you knew that. Otherwise this seems to be the best of both worlds
-- the vat sizing IME really gives a better deeper smoother less fragile
coat, & fewer glitches. The trough I've used for developing a print, never
gelatin -- but why not? If it bubbles, add one drop Kremer anti-foam.

Another source of troughs in all sizes -- garden supplies. Formerly in the
flower district in NYC, now I suppose nurseries. They have these plastic
stamped out troughs in all dimensions (used for window boxes, or like
that) for just a few dollars. Bottom is ribbed, but that's good...

Tho they're green. Dark green..

J.