RE: TEACHING INFO- OT?

From: Jonathan Bailey ^lt;jon@jonathan-bailey.com>
Date: 09/25/05-07:35:39 AM Z

Bob and Christina,

I've done a half dozen private tutorials over the years. After some
conversation I generally end up quoting $300/day. However, I list on my
website a figure higher than that - and this gives me room to maneuver. For
example, if someone wants to book a time that's really inconvenient, or, I
have hesitations about agreeing to the tutorial for some reason (use your
imagination), I have the higher figure (is it $600/day?) to fall back on to
make it worth my time and effort if I agree.

Compensation at places like Maine and Santa Fe varies quite widely depending
to a large extent on who you are and how popular your class has been (or is
likely to be). Currently, established digital practitioners (especially if
they've published) are in a strong position to hold out for a pretty decent
week's pay - and perks. And, I know Maine will run a class at a loss for the
prestige of hosting a few of the "big" names - digital or not.

When I was offering workshops at the established venues I was usually paid
an a "per student" basis. I recall a figure in the area of $100-150 each.
However, the class I did for Art New England in 2001 I was paid something
like $1000 for a week-long class (plus room and board, such as it was).

BTW - It was at that class I realized attendance was mainly from *my*
mailing list and I decided to set up on my own and offer the workshops in my
home and studio from summer 2002 onwards. My own workshop costs $1675 for a
six-day class - but that also includes a light breakfast and an
(extravagant) dinner each evening, as well as a day on the water on a
chartered boat. The only thing not included is lodging.

I would further add to this conversation workshops other than digital right
now are a darn tough sell! People are staying away from wet process in
droves! I know this summer in Rockport numerous very well known
photographers had only one or two students for the week.

My advice is not to give up your day job!

Best - Jon

www.jonathan-bailey.com
Tenants Harbor, Maine