Re: Gum hardening: top down experiment Purpose ?

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/12/06-08:40:35 AM Z

Sandy

I am sure that we both believe that sound methods are needed when doing
experiments, but if this is for one coat, people have been doing it for 150
years, see Pouncey and Demachy. Now if the idea is to see if we can learn from
their methods or 'retro-invent' them, fair enough. But why do we need to expose
through the back ?

Otherwise, have people thought through on what surface this super exposed
from the back print is going to finish up. Have they thought through how one
might make multiple exposures and have they thought through what advantage this
new method would have over what we can already do.

As you said:

> Whether or not this can be done in practice, or if someone wants to make
> the effort to find out, is a totally different matter. I am not advocating this
> approach, just suggesting a testing methodology to pursue for anyone who
> might be so interested.

if this is going to help someone in their degree show then super ! But it
seems like an excuse for more testing to no real purpose.

Terry

In a message dated 12/4/06 2:17:54 pm, sanking@clemson.edu writes:

> Terry,
>

> I thought the purpose of this experimentation was perfectly clear. If one
> could work out a practical method of exposing from the back of the carrier
> surface it would be possible to make gum prints with high Dmax and a full range
> of tones with just one coating and exposure. In theory prints made this way
> could not be just as rich in both shadow density tonal range as a well-made
> carbon print.
>

> Whether or not this can be done in practice, or if someone wants to make the
> effort to find out, is a totally different matter. I am not advocating this
> approach, just suggesting a testing methodology to pursue for anyone who
> might be so interested.
>

> Sandy

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)