Re: Thanks for Marek's inspiring gum print

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 04/13/06-05:51:01 PM Z

>Marek,
>
>Thanks for posting your print, and thanks to you and Sandy King,
>Katherine, Judy, Chris and others who contributed to the
>conversation in a positive way. It is interesting to see where
>knowledge and unconventional thinking leads and this may offer some
>interesting possibilities.
>
>I can understand people getting bored with petty bickering over
>minutiae-but then we all have a delete key and people should be
>encouraged to discuss whatever they wish.
>
>However, I don't understand why some people are so threatened by
>discussions of "possibilities" that may lead to some productive
>innovations-and why they are so quick to label such explorations as
>"useless". Such contentious and bombastic posts really do nothing
>but cause list members to lose respect for the author. Some people
>seem to talk and others seem to DO.
>
>Mark Nelson
><http://www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com/>Precision Digital Negatives

Mark,

I completely agree.

And I agree with Katharine that this has been on the whole an
intelligent and useful discussion that has produced useful
information for the community. And I really appreciate the fact that
in spite of some skepticism KT was receptive enough to the
possibility that this concept might work to actually test it. And we
all should appreciate the door to new creative opportunities that
Marek's interesting and productive experimentation has opened for all
of us. And most importantly, thanks to Marek for the "the proof is
in the pudding" and to Katharine for posting it on her web site.

As for Terry's rather unkind comments about me:

"As a leading light in this community for some years you, Sandy, have
a responsibility to offer guidance suggesting that these pointless
debates do not happen just as much as you take your responsibilities
seriously in offering advice as to how to do things.. Saying, as you
do, "if you think the tests are a waste of time, stay away from them"
just reduces the standard of debate and the usefulness of the list.
That is irresponsible. It is a surprising attitude for a teacher."

I have the following to say. My understanding of a good teacher is a
person who shares his/her expertise with students in the hope and
expectation that they will assimilate the knowledge and find new and
creative ways to use it, and make even greater contributions to the
field of study.

Sorry to hear about your illness, Terry. Hope you have a full
recovery, and soon.

Sandy