RE: Daguerreotypes and Tintypes

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 04/18/06-09:57:03 AM Z

>>> schrammrus@hotmail.com 04/18/06 11:30 AM >>>
Ehud,

>>Tintypes are fairly easy and not dangerous. There is even a kit
out.
Porter's Camera as it I think...<<

Bob,

As I understand it, the prepared kit is basically a readymade silver
halide liquid emulsion that can be applied to metal plates. It is not
the traditional wetplate collodion ferrotype process which was commonly
known as "tintype." The true wetplate processes were most popular
during the period 1851-1880 before being supplanted by dryplates and
film shortly thereafter.

The true wetplate processes are dangerous and involve explosive
chemicals such as ethyl ether and guncotton as well as other chemicals
such as potassium cyanide. Potassium and hydrogen cyanide will get you
a lot quicker than mercury and bromine.

While not as difficult as daguerreotypy, the wetplate collodion
processes are challenging and not what I'd call "fairly easy."

Joe