Re: Daguerreotypes and Tintypes

From: Kerik ^lt;kerik@kerik.com>
Date: 04/18/06-10:08:29 AM Z

Bob said,

> Tintypes are fairly easy and not dangerous. There is even a kit out.
> Porter's Camera as it I think.

Just a point of clarification and caution - this kit is NOT for wet plate
collodion tintypes. They are liquid emulsion on tin (a Rockaloid product,
i think), not authentic tintypes despite the claim on their website. Most
people I've heard from who've tried this approach have had poor and very
inconsistent results and have moved onto collodion. I've read of many
problems with the developer in particular. I've not tried it myself.

If one is going to make REAL tintypes, ambrotypes or glass plate
negatives, some of the chemicals are VERY dangerous - flammable,
explosive, and extremely toxic and/or fatal if handled improperly.

Not to be taken lightly!!!

Kerik
www.kerik.com