"Kodak" backlit film

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 04/19/06-08:38:26 AM Z

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Don Bryant wrote:

> I just thought I would point out to anyone considering using the Kodak
> Backlit film that dye inks should be used to print with, not pigmented inks.
> So Epson printers like the 1280, 1160, and 3000 will work fine with cheap
> Chinese dye inks (as noted by Judy Seigel a good while back). Pigmented inks
> like those used on the Epson 2000, 2200, and 2400 and so on. Pigmented inks
> just don't work well at all with this material.
>>
> Carmen, what is your source for the short rolls? I was told by one supplier
> that it was no longer available.

Post-Factory #8, printed February 2003, has info about what was then
called "Kodak Reverse Print Backlit film" on page 39, as well as some of
my findings with it for digital negs, in other articles, same issue.

As the section on page 39 says, it was made by Encad, which was bought by
Kodak, and packaged under the Kodak name.... but these things change
rapidly nowadays and who knows about now?

At that time you could get sales info from Encad, 800/441-3475.

I bought mine from Adorama, but Carlick in NYC also sold it. Now, it's
probably all by website, wherever...

I liked it very much myself, and add here, for what it's worth that it
responded very well to oiling (I used Canola oil). The trouble with oil,
as I pointed out, is that it tends to start drying out by the next day, so
you'd probably have to re-oil before long. But (this from memory) beeswax
doesn't dry out or not so quickly, & would also solve the problem.

That is, if the whitish coating makes exposure too slow (especially if
only thicker versions remain available) the oil or wax made significant
improvement. At the time it was much cheaper than pictorico, and IMO
tougher and handled better.

The great drawback of course was that you had to cut your own sheets,
which can be a pain, tho if you have one of those dedicated cutters and
space to keep it on a work surface, probably easier. Otherwise you devise
strategies, like taping the curly sheet down while you measure & cut...

And yes, I printed with dye (3rd party cartridges for $3.95, now gone up I
believe to $4.50, or thereabouts.)

Judy