Re: Off-Topic, New Orleans Images

From: Bogdan Karasek ^lt;bkarasek@videotron.ca>
Date: 04/27/06-12:21:57 AM Z

Hi, Just like to chime in.

  I agree that there are the usual flare ups but these things do happen
sometimes, nor much is happening on the list, people will go off on an
interesting OT for a while. You with it.

But this was different. This was vicious. Calling somebody a "Bitch" or
   "King Bitch" and last but not least, ...busy kissing Judy Seigel's
wide ass" (sorry Judy), this is no longer good natured poking fun at
somebody. It is vicious and sexist. And the treat of violence against
somebody who disagrees with you. That's intimidation. I think, that at
that point, the line has been crossed.

Photographing T-shirts that have profanities or political/relgious
comments on them falls under the general heading of photojournalism.
You are being shown what is out there in the world. You may not agree
with the messages, but that is your choice. But this was different.
Members where being viciously attacked and intimidation was used. That
is unacceptable. It precludes all possibility of free speech and isn't
that what Democracy is about.

Two summers ago, I was in California and went to Sproul Hall at the U of
  C in Berkeley anD stood on the same steps where Mario Savio gave his
"Free Speech Movement" speech. For me it was a pilgrimage. Free
speech has to be practiced. It is not an abstract concept. And it is
not a given, you have to "fight" for it.

My two loonies worth.
I'm Canadian, and we have a different take on things. Like Democracy.

Best regards,
Bogdan

--
   Bogdan Karasek