Re: Off-Topic, New Orleans Images

From: Greg Schmitz ^lt;gws1@columbia.edu>
Date: 04/27/06-03:25:33 AM Z

Bogdon,

In the past I would have agreed with you - the rule here has always been
no personal attacks. Here, I think, that might still be the best way to
go. But...no person had his or her rights or liberties violated. I hear
discourse in public on a daily basis that makes what happened here look
like kids stuff. I agree that the speech was, hateful, sexist and perhaps
inappropriate. So?? That's life - point to the hateful speech - point
the finger at the speaker for all to see, shame them. Perhaps we don't
disagree as much as you might think unless you would advocate shutting
people up who say the wrong things (from your perspective); after all that
is in large measure what the Berkeley Free Speech Movement was all about -
to let people talk and say things that many at the time found very
offensive.

-greg