Re: exposure lights and re-introduction

From: Laura Valentino <laura_at_this.is>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:16:54 +0000

Judy Seigel wrote:

> Laura, I think the European-available lights most mentioned are
> Phillips, "black light fluorescents." I have no experience with
> something called specifically "metal halide grow lights" but the "grow
> lights" I tried in the US were lousy. It was long ago & I disposed of
> them, so I can't say what they were precisely, but they were extremely,
> even terminally slow, so -- my suggestion is, don't take "grow lights"
> as a given.

Hi Judy,

The metal halide lights are described in Sandy King's article on
Unblinking Eye:
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Light/light.html

and also here on Hamish Stewart's site:

http://www.gumphoto.co.uk/light_exposure.html

Apparantly the 1000w bulbs are fast. As fast as flourescents according
to Sandy's tests.

> Frankly, I'm surprised some European maven hasn't answered your question
> yet... except it being August maybe they're all at the beach or in the
> mountains. But now that I've said something, I expect a rush -- make
> that a STAMPEDE ! -- to correct me.

I did get a couple of off list responses...one with a link to a grow
light supplier in the UK. They also carry flourescents if I decide to go
that route. That writer uses a 400w metal halide with good, fast
results...but recommended I buy the 1000w if I could afford it for more
speed. The other writer, on the other hand, seemed to prefer very long
exposures made outside on overcast days. So this really sounds like a
personal decision.

Best Regards,
Laura