Re: Getting back into Cyanotype (classic formula)

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 02/12/06-09:22:50 AM Z

I don't double coat. The reason to mix 2:1 is it increases the speed of the
traditional formula. Apparently the more pot ferri you have the slower the
speed, if I remember correctly. One of the complaints about the traditional
formula is its slow speed, but with 2:1 I have 6 mn UV exposures.

I have not tried it the way you describe, in other words, mixing the
formulas at 40% FAC and 8% pot ferri and then using 1:1....maybe it is too
thick a solution, because as it is, a 20% solution is really a lot of FAC
powder. How about trying it and reporting your results?

But I didn't devise the formula, a guy named Schaefer did a lot of
experimentation with cyanotype and came up with that. And then Sam Wang
taught me this in grad school. He had a sheet comparing all the different
formulas on cyano floating around the universe, and it seems in general it
is a very flexible process.

I don't know the solubility of FAC, in other words, when does it fall out of
solution? A scientist on this list I'm sure can answer that.

I find with cyanotype that the real issue is creating the correct curve to
fit the short tonal scale.
Chris