Chemistry and risk

From: Kate M ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 02/15/06-01:10:08 PM Z

I have just been told that I will have to have a chemical handling
certificate for Pot. Di and Amm. Di. My technician read me out the risks and
I can quite see why you wouldn't want any general member of the public or
Year 1 student playing with it!

But that does bring me back to the method of measuring out dry dichromate
and adding it to the gum/pigment....this is the riskiest method of working
with the dichromates and so I strongly advise anyone doing it to do it ONLY
under controlled conditions (in a fume cabinet and with a filtered mask,
gloves etc.)

But it also brings out the problems that people are going to have in a more
and more regulated environment - no more just rolling up to the counter and
asking for a pint of whatever - they are going to want to check your bona
fides and your documentation from now on. I suspect that most of you already
know this and that New Zealand is well behind the times in this, as in most
things.

Kate