Re: Chemistry and risk

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 02/19/06-08:51:28 PM Z

I'm currently making a quarter-plate wetplate camera out of Lacewood
which is sort of an organish-brown wood with hundreds of elliptical rays
that exhibit something akin to chatoyancy. Just last week my
woodworking instructor suggested I use potassium dichromate as a stain
to further highlight this effect. I may do so, but I think I'll sand
the wood first before staining it with K2Cr2O7. ;)

I just completed making the bellows for this camera yesterday. The
outer layer is copper Spandex. Funky. Keeps me off the street.

But, if the potassium dichromate is light-sensitive, wouldn't this
eventually darken the wood and/or turn it towards green in hue? Anyone
know?

Joe

>>> written_by@msn.com 02/19/06 4:10 PM >>>
> Can you imagine using the dichromate as a wood stain, then sanding
> afterwards? Just imagine all those little dichromate particles in
the air and drifting
> into your ventillation system, settling on your morning oatmeal,
toothbrush,
> clothing, etc.

Actually, dichromates were used by woodworkers for staining wood and in
some cases, as a preservative. Quite popular back in the day.

Bob
..
 Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msncom